top of page
  • Writer's pictureMoran Shultz

Is being a Recruiter in Australia like winning the lottery?

Updated: Feb 3, 2020

Recruiters on 457 should apply for Permanent Resident visa today!
Recruiters on 457 should apply for Permanent Resident visa today!

Think about the next scenario…

You enjoy living and working in Australia for almost four years now.

You love your long sunny days, spending time on the beach and enjoying the great nightlife. Soon enough your 457 temporary visa will expire, and unless you take some action, you will find yourself on a plane back home to ‘enjoy’ the UK’s great weather.

So, what are your options?

If you applied or held a 457 visa before 18 April 2017 which was subsequently granted, and you’ve worked for your employer for a minimum of two years at the last three years - you are lucky!

We strongly recommend applying for your permanent resident visa by the Employer Nomination Scheme 186 via the transitional stream ASAP and before the legislation changes once again.

Keep in mind that if you lose your job or let your 457 visa expire, you will miss this golden opportunity for an Australian permanent residency.

If you are a Recruitment Consultant living overseas, can you still apply for a permanent visa?

As of March 2018 the legislation has changed, the occupation of a Recruiter Consultant was removed from the Employer Nomination Scheme 186 Direct Entry visa occupation list which means that if you had plans to arrive on a permanent resident visa, and work anywhere you like for an Australian employer, your options are now limited to rural areas only. (This excludes the opportunity to live and work in metropolises like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane)

At the moment you can still apply for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187). It is a permanent resident visa which limits you to living and working in a rural area for a minimum of 2 years before you could move on.

Here you can find the locations which are considered rural in Australia

What are your options if you prefer the big city life?

Currently, a Consultant Recruiter with a minimum of two years’ experience has an option to arrive in Australia on a Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482). This temporary visa will allow you to work and live in Australia for a maximum of two years.

Since this occupation is included in the short-term stream, you could apply for another 482 visa before the expiry of the first visa, however, you won’t be able to move to a permanent resident visa while holding a Consultant Recruiter 482 visa.

If neither of the above applies to you, we can advise for alternative pathways to fulfil your Aussie dream.

Here in LifeinAus, we specialise in helping Recruiters holding 475 visa to apply for their Permanent Resident visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme 186 and finding successful pathways to those who haven’t won the lottery.

Get in touch today to claim your Permanent Residency.


bottom of page