top of page

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Who should apply for Working Holiday visa?

Young people, up to age 30 who would like to travel and work in Australia for up to a year.


What are the requirements for this visa?

  • Age – At least 18 and up to 30.

  • Without any depending children escorting you.

  • Have a specific passport – only passport holders from the countries mentioned below, are eligible to apply.

  • You must be outside Australia to apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when it is decided.

  • In certain conditions, you may be eligible to apply for a second 417 visa while being in Australia or outside.

  • This visa will allow you to work for one employer for six months only – in certain cases you will be able to extend your work only after given permission by the Department of Home Affairs to work longer.

  • Processing time of this visa – between 11 to 32 days.


Only a passport holder from one of these countries, is eligible to apply for Work and Holiday visa:

  • Belgium

  • Canada

  • Cyprus

  • Denmark

  • Estonia

  • Finland

  • France

  • Germany

  • Hong Kong

  • Ireland

  • Italy

  • Japan

  • Malta

  • Norway

  • Sweden

  • Taiwan

  • The Netherlands

  • The Republic of Korea

It is recommended to also review the requirements for the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) which offers similar entitlements to the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).

Processing time for Work and Holiday visa:

31-71 calendar days

bottom of page