top of page

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

Who should apply for Working and Holiday visa?

Young people, up to age 31 who would like to travel and work in Australia for up to a year.

What are the requirements for this visa?

  • Age – At least 18 and up to 31 (have not turned 31 at the time of submission).

  • Without any depending children escorting you.

  • Hold at least 5,000 AUD in your bank account.

  • Have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay.

  • Have a specific passport – only passport holders from the countries mentioned below, are eligible to apply.

  • You must be outside Australia to apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when it is decided.

  • Education requirements – this requirement changes upon the different passport holder nationality.

  • English requirement – you must provide evidence that you have at least functional English.

  • Letter of government support – some nationalities require to provide letter of support from their government (countries which are exempt from providing the letter – USA, Singapore, Israel and China).

How long am I allowed to work while holding this visa?

This visa will allow you to work for one employer for six months only. You will be able to extend your work only after given permission by the Department of Home Affairs to work longer. As from 5 November 2018, a 462 visa holder can stay with the same agricultural (plant and animal cultivation) employer for up to 12 months. Plant and animal cultivation includes most agricultural work, such as:

  • Harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops

  • Pruning and trimming vines and trees

  • General maintenance crop work

  • Cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts

  • Immediate processing of plant products

  • Maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce

  • Immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery, packing and tanning

  • Manufacturing dairy produce from raw material


Applying for your first Work and Holiday visa – besides applicants from the US who can apply online, all other applicants from the eligible countries list must apply by post or in person to a specific Australian Immigration Office or Australian Visa Application Center.

The second and third year of Work and Holiday visa


  • To be eligible to apply for the second year of 462 visa, you must provide evidence for completing three months (minimum of 88 calendar days) of work in Northern Australia or Western Australia in these specific industries - tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry or fishing while holding your first Work and Holiday visa.

  • The work completed may be in different industries and locations mentioned below to meet the work requirement.

  • You can be in or outside Australia when submitting a second Work and Holiday visa.

  • Applying for the second Work and Holiday visa – the application should be submitted online. A paper based application can also be submitted to the Brisbane Office in Queensland by post.​

  • Post 1 July 2019, 462 visa holder holding his second year visa, will be eligible to apply for his third year visa if he chooses to undertake six months of specified work in a specified regional area during his second year.

Only a passport holder from one of these countries, is eligible to apply for Work and Holiday visa:

  • Argentina

  • Chile

  • China, People's Republic of

  • Hungary

  • Indonesia

  • Israel

  • Luxembourg

  • Malaysia

  • Peru

  • Poland

  • Portugal

  • San Marino

  • Singapore

  • Slovak Republic

  • Slovenia

  • Spain

  • Thailand

  • Turkey

  • USA

  • Uruguay

  • Vietnam

It is recommended to also review the requirements for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) which offers similar entitlements to the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).

Processing time for Work and Holiday visa:

33-71 calendar days

bottom of page