top of page
  • Writer's pictureMoran Shultz

Golden path to staying in Australia

Updated: Jul 23, 2018

Australian visas after working holiday visa
Australian visas after working holiday visa

So, its been eight months or so since you’ve moved to Australia, you are having the best time of your life and you are happy. But a quick look at your visa expiry date tells you that it might all be over soon. Now you are not happy, however you still have a few options up your sleeve before you’ll taste mum’s cooking once again.

Second year of Working Holiday visa

Specific nationalities can apply for the second year of a 462 & 417 working holiday visa and once you have provided evidence for completing three months of specified work (see notes below) you can apply for another year. Around 35,000 visa holders did this last year.

(You’ll need specified work in regional Australia in these specific industries – Construction, Mining, Tree Farming and Felling, Fishing and Pearling, Plant and Animal Cultivation while holding the first visa 417. Or you’ll need to work in Northern Territory or Western Australia in these specific industries – Tourism, Hospitality, Agriculture, Forestry or Fishing while holding the first visa 462). Remember, you’ll need: specified work, in specified regional Australia and in specified industries. Make sure you tick all those boxes.

Return to school

As an international student, you can learn English, or gain a tertiary education in Australia. Remember there are course fees attached to all tertiary courses in Australia. However, you are eligible to work 20 hours a week and once you have finished your studies, you could apply for a post-graduate visa (485) which will allow you to continue studying or work for between between 1.5 to 4 years.

TSS – Temporary Skill Shortage visa

TSS visa (482) is relevant for a skilled worker with two years’ experience. If your occupation is listed on one of three lists, you might be eligible to stay between two to four years. Occupations from two of the lists will have an option to continue and apply for a Permanent Resident visa after working for three years for the same employer.

Find the love of your life

If you are in a spousal (marriage) or de facto relationship with your Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen partner you might be eligible to apply for a partner visas.

If you want to further explore your options, feel free to contact us.

The LifeinAus Team


bottom of page